Think that your age may hamper your ability to find a job? Could your attitude about your age be what’s really holding you back?
Did you know that in addition to a wealth of experience, a mature worker generally has a lower turnover rate, is more loyal and performs with a strong work ethic? So, what can a mature job-seeker do to assist in finding a job?
5 Tips for Job-Seekers over 50
1. Keep a positive mental attitude. Everyone gets rejected occasionally. Preparing mentally with appropriate expectations puts you a step ahead. What should your expectations be? Dave Opton, president and founder of the networking site Execunet.com, says that keeping a positive attitude boosts your self esteem and energy and makes you more appealing to an employer.
2. Find niche staffing firms. Firms such as Time Staffing, Inc. frequently specialize in certain industries or job functions. These firms have professionals who are experienced in matching mature individuals with the right positions.
3. Network. Networking sites like LinkedIn help broaden your circle of contacts. LinkedIn also provides searchable parameters for locating current jobs. Foster conversation and discussions that could generate warm leads, but remember that networking works best when you reciprocate.
4. Use new technology. Social media mostly builds your network, but understanding and using technology such as text messaging, instant messaging or chat features can show you are savvy and favorably impress a potential employer.
5. Act contemporary. Avoid behaving, dressing or speaking as though you are stuck in the past. An updated style shows you are interested in your world and makes you appear more lively and appealing as a job candidate. Covering up gray hair is not necessary, says Opton, but reinforcing an energetic presence definitely makes a great impression.
One click to register with Time Staffing, Inc.
See what other employees we’ve placed say about how Time Staffing, Inc. has helped them find the right job. You can apply instantly then look through our available jobs. Don’t wait. Your best job ever could be right around the corner!
Time Staffing Inc.